Date: 5/8/19 7:06 am
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: hurts my heart
Mary,

Apparently we are not all in lock-step agreement here. There are differences of opinion which is actually a good thing, except I guess on OBOL where any discussion that raises the slightest hackle is quickly met with pleas of “enough already” and “be nice.”

We’ve already reached the point where eBird has supplanted OBOL as the source of information about where the birds are for many Oregon birders. OBOL remains a forum where we can discuss other bird related issues. But even that is compromised by limitations on certain topics being discussed. If we go a step further and limit any discussion that may create angst for subscribers who can’t bear to witness to meaningful disagreement then what are we left with?

This was once a vibrant forum where there were lots of bird sightings posted and we had some occasional long and even testy threads with no feel good emojis at the end. We didn’t all agree on anything except for agreeing that it’s okay to disagree. This is sort of how the real world works.

I used to look forward to reading OBOL posts. These days I mostly wonder why I am still subscribed.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 7, 2019, at 11:15 PM, Mary Garrard <springazure1...> wrote:
>
> Hi friends, I got caught up with OBOL posts tonight, and I have to say it really hurts my heart when discussions include snarky personal jabs (the latest example being the discussion about using X instead of estimating numbers on eBird lists). Perhaps I misread people’s intent, because it’s notoriously easy to misinterpret electronic communications without accompanying body language and other visual or aural cues, but really. Be nice. We are all on the same page when it comes to the big picture of loving and appreciating the amazing world of birds and the need to ensure their survival in the world we humans have created. Right?
>
> And BTW, I am almost abashed to admit it, but I only ever use X when I do an eBird checklist. Feel free to cull my lists (insert smiley face and cat emoji with hearts for eyes here!).
>
> I do love and appreciate all the ways in which OBOL’ers lift up and advance the cause of birds and birding.
>
> Mary
>
> POST: Send your post to <obol...>

<Iʋ-Wyb(N ӑABi0zX+bnNڭb0yb(ڭbnB{Zr٨uڶnf׫j+zX+

Join us on Facebook!