Date: 5/5/19 5:58 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] shorebirding Saturday
Yesterday I set off to the coast to see if I could find some of the
shorebirds reported by Jay Withgott et al.

My first stop was a Fishing Rock State Park. 44.846101,-124.052222

There I looked down on 3 species foraging in the intertidal zone

1 Black Oystercatcher

1 Wandering Tattler

2 Ruddy Turnstones (see separate post)

At Boiler Bay

1 Black Oystercatcher

1 Wandering Tattler

I met Hendrik and learned that the action was on the beach north of the
Yaquina Bay north jetty. I joined forces with Johnny and Shari Powell, Bob
Burley and his wife, and headed there.

At Beverly Beach we found:

100 Whimbrel

At the beach north of the Yaquina Bay north jetty we found:

1 Pacific Golden Plover

5 Semipalmated Plover

60 Whimbrels

10 Marbled Godwits

1 Red Knot

2 dowitchers

6 Dunlin

15 Western Sandpiper

Later, at Nye Beach we added

1 Long-billed Curlew

1 Marbled Godwit

Later at the HMSC nature trail at Idaho Flats I found

12 Semiplamated Plover

24 Western Sandpipers

1 Caspian Tern

4 Bald Eagles on the sand (where the gulls had been sitting): 1
immature, 1 sub-adult, 2 adult

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!