Date: 5/5/19 5:43 pm
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Possible Black-tailed Gull Lake Merced Boathouse
Hi Al -

Appreciate your detailed response. A lot of folks monitor these sites
to learn about these complex subjects and it's great to have helpful
to gulls, and my aim is to try my best to crack these nuts. I too
look a lot at gulls and well know not to let one odd mark determine
an outcome. Age, molt status, time of year, feather-by-feather
analysis in consideration of feather generation, etc., is what needs
to happen.

I know folks have mis-ID'd Black-tailed as California Gulls in the
past, even here in SF, so it's not pie in the sky to look closely at
odd Californias. In any case, I hope others may have gained something
from this exercise, as I have, whether or not a final outcome is
agreed to. Here's to one of us (including readers of this site)
finding a Black-tailed Gull!

Peter

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>