Date: 5/5/19 9:40 am
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Possible Black-tailed Gull Lake Merced Boathouse
Hi Joe and Al -

Appreciate the responses and will concede that it is most likely a
CAGU, though I'd question first-cycle with that much dark gray in the
back and this tail pattern. As we know, second-cycle (or first-cycle)
gulls in May are extremely variable, and I was able to find some
trashed Black-taileds on line that resembled this bird in bill color
and body plumage. Even one with an exaggerated hook to the tip like
this bird had. Very few photos are available of the spread tails of
CAGUs and those that I could find showed all-dark rectrices
(1st-cycle) or barred bases (second-cycle) and none with pale tips or
a banded appearance. Of course with second-cycle gulls I prefer
something concrete to just, oh, it looks 'normal' for this without
digging deeper. The back also appeared quite dark for CAGU, matching
Black-tailed better, but can go with this being a lighting effect or
within variation of fresh second-alternate feathers.

In the end, I went back to the primary literature including this paper in Auk
<http://www.gull-research.org/california/pfds/Behle%20&%20Selander%20(1953)%20%20Auk%2070.pdf>http://www.gull-research.org/california/pfds/Behle%20&%20Selander%20(1953)%20%20Auk%2070.pdf

which does show tail patterns of CAGU that come closer to the bird yesterday.

Peter

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>

Join us on Facebook!