Date: 5/5/19 6:33 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Wood Peewee or Olive Sided? Help!
Based on the grungey throat I'd call this a WWPewee. OSFL typically show a
bright, well defined triangle between the beak and breast. This is a good
opportunity to point out how much better life can be for the birder when
the object of our scrutiny shares a split second of sound with us. On two
occasions this spring OSFL have burned substantial time on the Mt Tabor
birdsong walks by sitting silently 100 feet above us. Lengthy discussions
by 4-6 experienced birders in front of a captive audience of 3-4 dozen less
opinionated observers has led to a weak consensus at best. The low morning
sun was perhaps the primary exacerbation, making the whole ventral surface
of the bird appear almost white.

On Sat, May 4, 2019, 10:12 PM Jack Maynard <jmaynard...> wrote:

> Hello Birders,
>

> I had a great eBird big day birding today, and am ready for my Portland
> Audubon Birdathon tomorrow, bicycling SE PDX with the Handle-barred Owls. I
> birded this morning with my wife Kelli Van Norman and Patty N at Pittock
> and ran into Nick M and Peyton who were having a crazy Warbler day. We all
> saw Townsends, Wilsons, OCs, Nashvilles, Black-throated Grays and tons of
> Tanagers. Kelli, Patty and I saw a MacGilivray’s (Thanks Patty!) as well as
> 5 flyover Cedar Waxwings. Nick and Peyton heard a Hermit Warbler, and after
> we split groups we looked hard for it but never found it.
>

> Later I birded my favorite Portland spot Whitaker Ponds and had what I
> originally believed to be an Olive-sided Flycatcher. I got lots of pics,
> including one of it with a Red-tailed Hawk, but the darned thing never
> vocalized. I was sure with what I saw was a vest and the longish
> wings-to-tail ratio it was Olive-sided, but when I got home and looked at
> the pics I changed my ID to Western Wood-peewee, which I’ve seen at
> Whitaker before.
>

> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55823319 is my checklist with pictures,
> including the interesting one of the Hawk and flycatcher.
>

> I’d love to hear from the folks with opinions—I’d really love to be wrong
> as an Olive-sided would be a first for me at this location.
>

> Thanks in advance and Good Birding!
>

> Jack Maynard

Join us on Facebook!