Date: 5/4/19 1:00 pm
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Bewick's Wren?/Bachman's Sparrow
Very interesting...you are right, this is not much like the habitat it occupied in Virginia, at least not where we found them in the 1980s and 90s. There it seemed to favor regenerating fields with a understory of Broomsedge Andropogon virginicus. If the overall population is declining, then you would expect the most recently colonized range would be abandoned first.

I am not sure how close to Maryland the sparrow breeds now, the Center for Conservation Biology surveyed for the species in the mid-1990s and found very few individuals and none since 1996. https://ccbbirds.org/2010/03/03/bachmans-sparrow-vigil/

It may no longer breed in Virginia and even NC populations seem to be declining, per CCB.

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville

Sent from my iPad