Date: 5/4/19 12:44 pm
From: 'George Jett' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Bewick's Wren?/Bachman's Sparrow
CliveI’ve found them in Pine Forest in SC.GMJE

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
On Saturday, May 4, 2019, 'Clive Harris' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> wrote:

I found this paper from the 30s on Bachman's Sparrow - this suggests the habitat used in much of the territory it has since abandoned was successional, regrowing fields with some tree cover and bushes; it doesn't sound that close to the habitat it is found in these days further south.  One quote about habitat in PA says “In southwestern Pennsylvania it is partial to open, scattered groves of white, red, and black oaks, and to waste fields grown up to poverty grass (Danthonia sptiata), intermixed with briers, saplings, small shrubs, and herbage. "  I would've thought that habitat is still found to some extent.
It also makes the point its northward invasion was quite recent (c 1900 in Pa, MD).
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/wilson/v050n02/p0086-p0109.pdf

Good birding
Clive Harris