Date: 5/3/19 3:05 pm
From: 'George Jett' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Bewick's Wren?
CliveWell said.GMJE

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
On Friday, May 3, 2019, 'Clive Harris' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> wrote:

Hi Bob
The point you make at the end has had a bit of discussion before.  It used to be that email lists were the main way of sharing information on bird sightings.  These days, people have moved towards eBird (rare bird alerts) and closed text groups. FB is used but I don't see it used so much these days for the type of information you had mentioned.
It's not that people want to share information less, or that they want to share on a closed group, its that these are both easier to deliver information on and have some advantages for those wanting to use that information.  The MD birding group sees very few posts these days on bird sightings.
For eBird, if you are doing a list anyway then you share it when you submit it; and of course it has locational information.  The downside is that not even eBird RBAs are real-time and in any case many people want to get home to add photos before submitting, so there can be an even bigger lag.
For text groups, there are connectivity advantages, and also a more flexible format that doesn't have people getting angry if you use acronyms, abbreviate locations, or don't include your address.  The downside is you have to be a member of the group.
It's not obvious what would make people go back to using the email lists for sharing information given alternative technologies.  But if it's not as easy and quick as the other methods, people are not going to use it - that's pretty clearly been demonstrated.  So the choice is between no information being shared, or being shared on the terms people are willing to do so.
Good birding, and with apologies to Jared for the inevitable link to the earlier thread
Clive Harris