Date: 5/3/19 6:45 am
From: Mike Milligan <mike.milligan...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: Banding codes formerly 'GWWA Montgomery'
And how is the novice to gain the education if all they see is bunch of
4-letter codes? Someone entering this group next month wouldn't have a clue
what it meant and will have missed the discussion on how to look them up.
All they will know is there is some sort of 1337-speak that they don't
know. That creates a steep learning curve and will discourage many from
going further into birding. I consider myself a fairly experienced novice,
and I stumble over the banding codes. More of them are making sense,
because I see them with the common name, but when I saw GGWA in the
original post, I read it as "Green-winged Warbler" (I obviously don't know
my warblers) and didn't know the correct name until I consulted the Audubon
app. Last year, I couldn't have gotten that far. Using the code without
common names smacks of elitism, not community.

Mike Milligan
Columbia, MD

P.S. "1337-speak" refers to a phenomenon in some computer user/hacker
circles of using "leet" or "elite" speak in messages to separate the
experienced from the novices. A common practice was to substitute numbers
and special characters for letters: 1 = L, 3 = E, 7 = T, and so on.