Date: 5/1/19 11:45 pm
From: Jay Withgott <withgott...>
Subject: [obol] Lincoln Co., 1 May -- 1,642 Whimbrels and 12,500 Western Sandpipers

Hi OBOL —

I couldn’t miss out on the good shorebird migration, so was at the coast today. Arrived late (8:00 am) to Boiler Bay, but fortunately the migratory movement was still flowing steadily past 10:00. Here I had a total of 10,800 Western Sandpipers migrating past over the course of the 2 hours, as well as 1,700 Red-necked Phalaropes and more than 200 Bonaparte’s Gulls. A flock of 30 Red Knots was perhaps the best species. Complete checklist is here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55659334 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55659334>

I then spent the rest of the day working my way south along the coast to Yachats, making 21 other stops and tallying 17 shorebird species. Most notable was the huge number of WHIMBRELS: I counted 1,642 for the day. Every sandy beach location I stopped at was chock full of Whimbrels, ranging from dozens up to 300. Interestingly, I had only had 2 fly by Boiler Bay. Thus, many more are due to be moving north in coming days.

Total numbers of shorebirds for the day across the 22 stops were as follows:

Black Oystercatcher — 3
Black-bellied Plover — 34
Semipalmated Plover — 110
Killdeer — 1
Whimbrel — 1,642
Marbled Godwit — 7
Ruddy Turnstone — 3
Black Turnstone — 4
Red Knot — 36
Sanderling — 78
Dunlin — 829
Least Sandpiper — 75
Western Sandpiper — 12,563
Peep Sp. — 1,304 (mostly Western)
Dowitcher Sp. — 4 (presumably Short-billed)
Red-necked Phalarope — 1,767
Greater Yellowlegs — 1
Lesser Yellowlegs — 1
Shorebird Sp. — 955 (mostly peeps & Dunlin)

Jay Withgott
Portland

Join us on Facebook!