Date: 5/1/19 10:15 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: The Year of the Calliope
Well, I've been waiting ~45 years at this location for this opportunity,
and yesterday I saw a very small female hummer with a very white breast
and little or no rufous on the flanks; among the hords* of Anna's and
Rufous. I had no optical equipment but was only 10 feet away.
It looked very promising, but I was busy with other matters. But today,
when i saw Bill's photos of a female, I had no alternative than to go 'tic'
for a yardbird.
Thanks, Bill
Bob OBrien Carver OR
PS I'll be back tomorrow with a camera, but, whatever, a tic is a tic.
PPS A word to the wise. Cats are NOT to be mentioned on OBOL. I could say
a lot more but I won't.
* Note the correct spelling and a nod of appreciation to an anonymous
OBOLer. Likely an English Major.

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 9:41 PM Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...> wrote:

> There have been several reports (more than normal) of Calliopes from
> Benton County in the past week as well, and today I joined the ranks of the
> fortunate birders who had one in their yard, when a female paid an (all to
> brief) brief visit to our feeder. Not enough time to even think about
> grabbing the camera - and of course, it never returned for seconds! Still a
> fun little bird to see!
>
> Happy migration
>
> Hendrik
>
> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 9:07 PM Bill Tice <ticebill7...> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,,
>> Six days ago I had a female Calliope Hummer show up at my place in Falls
>> City, Polk County. She was a one day wonder, as these usually are.
>> Yesterday another female showed up, who stayed over until today. 3 other
>> local birders came over to tic it off on their Polk list. The last one was
>> Don Berg, and while we were looking at her, a male showed up on the other
>> side of the feeder. Cool! About a half hour later I was at the kitchen
>> table where the feeder on the other side of the house is set up, and I
>> "finally" saw 2 females together. I was suspecting there was a 2nd one
>> because I thought I saw 2 together twice before, but it was just too
>> quick. As I was watching these and the Rufous' joust and come and go, I
>> spied 2 male Calliopes at the same time about the feeder! So that makes 4
>> Calliopes in one place, here on the west side of the Willamette Valley. I
>> know this is hard to believe, but I really did see these all with my own
>> eyes. My wife did indeed see the males together. I tried to get them both
>> in one pic, and almost succeeded.
>>
>> However, after taking some 200 pics (Yea, I know, digital photography
>> extends the limits......), some of which are in the eBird report below, my
>> wife noticed one of our cats having something small in his mouth, which
>> turned out to be one of the males, so guess he is at the end of his
>> migration.
>>
>> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55658752?share=true
>>
>> --
>> Bill Tice
>>
>> :
>> Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and, for avoiding chores
>>

> --
> Hendrik G. Herlyn
> Corvallis, OR
>

> *"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home." -- Gary Snyder*

Join us on Facebook!