Date: 5/1/19 7:12 pm
From: 'George Jett' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Amazing Back Yard Moment, Bethesda, Mont. Co.
JimWhat ever u were eating for breakfast I need to get some of it.CongratsGeorge

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 'Jim Nelson' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> wrote:

Eating breakfast on the deck this morning, something I try to do every day (except in cold winter weather), I spotted a beautiful male Scarlet Tanager in our tree, first of year.  I went to the door to alert my wife so she could see the bird.  When I turned around, I realized there was a second and then a third male with the first bird, all in my binocular view at once.  Then a fourth male came in to join the other 3.  Four male Scarlet Tanagers together in close proximity in our small suburban backyard in Bethesda. Then I realized a male Baltimore Oriole (also first of year) had moved into view right behind the tanagers.  This was truly an incredible find in our backyard.  Must have been a fallout of tanagers.  Even on long walks along the C&O Canal, I would feel very lucky to observe 4 male Scarlet Tanagers during the walk, but together in one place, once in a lifetime.  We both were stunned by our good luck since the birds had all disappeared within five minutes.
A little later I had a first-of-year male Common Yellowthroat singing in our neighbor's bushes.
Not bad for a cool, overcast, May Day morning!

Jim NelsonBethesda, MD