Date: 5/1/19 10:16 am
From: Jay Pitocchelli <jpitocch...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers

It is year 5 of this project and I am once again writing to request your
help and participate in a Citizens Science Project that involves recording
migrating Mourning Warbler songs. Our lab is trying to determine what role
song can play in understanding migratory connectivity in this species. We
are interested in whether different song populations of the Mourning
Warbler (Western, Eastern, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland) migrate together or
separately to their respective breeding areas. Here is a link to a map
with previous years’ results based on recordings from over 100 birders.

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/mapping-songs-with-google-maps.html

All you need is a smartphone with a voice recording app and some luck. Videos
with recordings are also helpful. The web page link below describes the
project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in more detail. Please
send song recordings to the Mourning Warbler Sound Lab (jpitocch AT
anselm.edu).

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/

There is also a link to a recent national Audubon Society story on this
research.

Audubon Society reporting

http://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2017/this-guy-mapping-how-warblers-migrate-just

I would really appreciate your help and contributions this year to this
Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli

Chair, Biology Department

Saint Anselm College