Date: 5/1/19 9:38 am
From: Jay Pitocchelli via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
It is year 5 of this project and I am once again writing to request your
help and participate in a Citizens Science Project that involves
recording migrating Mourning Warbler songs.Our lab is trying to
determine what role song can play in understanding migratory
connectivity in this species.We are interested in whether different song
populations of the Mourning Warbler (Western, Eastern, Nova Scotia,
Newfoundland) migrate together or separately to their respective
breeding areas.Here is a link to a map with previous years’ results
based on recordings from over 100 birders.

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/mapping-songs-with-google-maps.html

All you need is a smartphone with a voice recording app and some
luck.Videos with recordings are also helpful.The web page link below
describes the project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in
more detail.Please send song recordings to the Mourning Warbler Sound
Lab (jpitocch AT anselm.edu).

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/

There is also a link to a recent national Audubon Society story on this
research.

Audubon Society reporting

http://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2017/this-guy-mapping-how-warblers-migrate-just

I would really appreciate your help and contributions this year to this
Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli

Chair, Biology Department

Saint Anselm College