Date: 4/30/19 6:55 am
From: Jared Fisher <jaredfisher...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Banding codes formerly 'GWWA Montgomery'
Rick, Clive, All,

The 'rule' on use of banding codes may be better interpreted as a very
strong suggestion. I don't admonish anyone for occasionally breaking this
guideline, and, of course, posting hurriedly from the field about a rarity
100x trumps the 'rule' when it can be so quickly clarified by someone else
if needed. I won't be changing this guideline because I believe it's best
for clarity & archival/searching to avoid it's overuse. You are all correct
that codes can be quickly looked up with google searches and are available
in apps/books, but another issue is that people very often get banding
codes incorrect when trying to abbreviate a bird's name down to 4 letters.
I see this all the time even among groups where people 'know' the codes. In
addition to thread derailments on correctly used codes, I can easily see
situations where an ambiguous non-code would spawn 20+ emails wondering
what someone meant by BTGW, BASW, or SASP.

Jared Fisher
MDBirding Moderator