Date: 4/29/19 6:07 pm
From: 'Clive Harris' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: GWWA Montgomery
Dear all

I’d like to respectfully suggest to the moderator of the group that the rules of the group change to allow the use of abbreviations only.

It’s 2019 not 1999 or 2004. When banding codes were first used it was hard to work out what they meant. These days we don’t even need an app to find bird codes. Google search on my phone gives “GWWA Golden-winged Warbler” as the first item when I type in “GWWA Bird Code. “. We are all reading these emails on smart phones or a laptop and can do this if we’re curious. If we’re not we can delete the email.

We way see too few posts from the field here on this group. I am sufficiently bad at typing on my phone that it’s abbreviations or nothing from the field! I’d rather spend the time looking at the bird than correcting my typing particularly when it’s a species that turns up in the county a couple of times a year at best and that other people would want to, and in this case did, come to find.

I’d encourage others to use banding codes if it would increase the number of emails from the field.

TTFN (to save you all looking that up that’s “ta ta for now” - an English phrase).

Clive Harris

Sent from my iPhone