Date: 4/29/19 4:41 pm
From: Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Already?
Hi all
Guess I have been discombobulated by the seemingly prolonged (but normal) rainy season and the (mostly) cool spring, but I was pleasantly surprised early this afternoon by my first non-hummingbird fledgling.
Near the southwest corner of Alta Plaza Park I heard the unmistakeable high pitched calls and then saw a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow, quickly fed by its parent (male) that shortly thereafter flew up to his favorite small tree to sing. The fledgling looked to be about two weeks old already. So there you go - early breeding success in at least one of the four territories (marked by singing males) that I'm aware of in and around this park.
Yup, it's that time of year! Migration is still underway, but many of our year-long residents are also making hay, as the saying goes, so keep an eye (and ear) out for signs of breeding as you search - those baby birds are wonders in themselves!
Richard BradusSan Francisco

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>

Join us on Facebook!