Date: 4/29/19 4:19 pm
From: Rick Borchelt <rborchelt...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: GWWA Montgomery
Of course this brings up the perennial conversation about why use banding
codes in the first place in a public group with a wide audience with
different levels of familiarity with (and interest in) birding
terminology. Rule #2 for participation in this group reads, "Try to
remember to use full species names and avoid using banding codes in your
post." I personally enjoy the challenge of figuring out a code I don't
know, or looking it up if I don't, but I hear from many readers new to
birding who find the practice off-putting and clique-ish.

It's a dynamic tension of long standing between self-described "serious
birders" and people who enjoy the pleasure and excitement of bird watching
without the accoutrements of inspeak. Most of the time someone says,
"What's a GWWA" in this context s/he means "Please tell me what you mean"
rather than "please lecture me about how I can find this out." Although I
also want to believe everyone who responded this way did so out camaraderie
to share something they personally find useful.

I personally believe it is more important to know the Latin names of birds
than their banding codes, but you won't find me posting binomials and then
telling folks to Google them if they don't know them.

--
Rick Borchelt
College Park, MD

http://leplog.wordpress.com