Date: 4/27/19 9:15 am
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Des Moines River arrivals, Blue-headed Vireo
Hey I-Birders

Karen, Harney and I strolled along the Des Moines River in north Des
Moines near Tai Village late Friday afternoon. A few noteworthy birds
appeared, including BROAD-WINGED HAWK, BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, LINCOLN'S
SPARROW, two ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS and our FOY CHIMNEY SWIFT. A BROWN
THRASHER was singing lustily near the large pond. The vegetation along
this pond has improved over the years, and we've had marsh wren here a
couple of times in migration and the occasional green heron is seen here.
On our walk I spotted the rear end of a SORA disappearing into the
cattails. We could see its bright triangular bill back in the shadows, then
observed it come back out of the reeds and forage in some shorter grass.
Later, on our return, the bird was still foraging there and we watched it
for a few more minutes. I don't believe we've encountered this species
here before. I'm glad the marsh looks acceptable to a migrating sora.
As I was writing this on Saturday morning, several small birds appeared
in one of our oak trees, including RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER, and most exciting, BLUE-HEADED VIREO.
Looking forward to seeing many of you next weekend.

Good Birding,

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines