Date: 4/25/19 11:24 pm
From: Melanie Wirtanen <mkwirtanen...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] banded raptor
Hi again, Bethany

I would not argue with the bird banding experts. However your hawk’s train (tail) is too short for a Cooper’s. From the third photo down, compare the tail length to primary tips then look at the Coop that was sent to you. All juvenile hawks are blessed with longer tail feathers in their first year. But to me, that Hawk looks more buteo than accipiter. I’d love to know for sure, but we may not.

I hope you continue to enjoy and get more photos of raptors.

Take care,

Melanie

Sent from my iPhone