Date: 4/21/19 1:34 am
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Ferruginous Hawk Nest Malheur -- étiquette around nesting and roosting raptors
Jim,

Suggesting that I made a judgment in this instance "without knowing the situation" is not accurate. I am quite familiar with the situation at the Ferruginous Hawk nest where you took your photos. I have stopped to look at the nest on a few occasions and driven by it on many dozen more. You said yourself that this was your first visit and that you spent an hour and a half at the nest site. Did I somehow misrepresent either of these facts? There may be some OBOL subscribers, perhaps many, who think that it's okay to spend that amount of time roughly 200 yards from an active hawk nest in the only tree around. Some may believe that it has no impact whatsoever on the birds, but I beg to differ. I would hope that we can engage in a civil conversation about issues like this. You didn't need to tell this very public forum that you spent as long as you did at the site of this nest, but you did. Apparently you didn't consider that this might invite questions about whether such a lengthy visit was prudent. I am certainly not the only one in this forum who knows about this well-known nest site, or the only person on OBOL who appreciates that Ferruginous Hawks are a "species of concern" as it relates to their breeding status in Oregon. http://oregonconservationstrategy.com/strategy-species/ferruginous-hawk/
[http://oregonconservationstrategy.com/media/Ferruginous-hawk_USFWS_460.jpg]<http://oregonconservationstrategy.com/strategy-species/ferruginous-hawk/>

Ferruginous Hawk - Oregon Conservation Strategy<http://oregonconservationstrategy.com/strategy-species/ferruginous-hawk/>
Blue Mountains. Located in NE Oregon, the Blue Mountains ecoregion is the largest ecoregion in the state. It provides a diverse complex of mountain ranges, valleys, and plateaus that extend beyond Oregon into the states of Idaho and Washington.
oregonconservationstrategy.com

The report at the link above clearly states that Ferruginous Hawks are susceptible to human disturbances during the nesting season. If, as you say, the recent bird festival in Burns had "carloads of people unloading to observe this nest" that would seem to be problematic as well to my way of thinking. If that makes me a jerk, or the "bird police" I'm okay with that. We all enjoy seeing birds up close and personal, and many of us enjoy taking and seeing great photos of birds. Is it really so unreasonable to ponder how our behaviors and activities may be impacting the birds we profess to care about? It's a delicate balance with no simple answers. Have I strayed to close to a nest or lingered too long when a bird may have been agitated? Of course I have. Hopefully, I and others can learn from those missteps.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR