Date: 4/20/19 4:19 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Prineville Bean-Goose
Never make an ID on one photo. That lesson has come up regularly on this
list. With that disclaimer, l'm going to suggest the Finley bird has a
smaller beak. The culmen appears to join the feathered brow well below the
eye level, while the Crook bird has a culmen beginning on the same plane as
the eye. But the Crook bird photo also seems to be a pure profile of the
head(90 degrees to camera lens) while the Benton bird may be a little
oblique.
What's really cool about the Benton photo is the context. All the
other geese are Duskies. Note the red plastic neck collar on one of them.
For all of you insecure about IDing Canada Geese to subspecies, the red
collar clinches "Dusky". One of them has a natural, white collar made of
feathers.
This is not an Aleutian Cackler. The white neck ring is an ancestral trait
that is very common in true Cacklers (minima) and l have seen it on taverni
in the hand, faintly on other Duskies. This example is the most pronounced
case l've noticed on a Dusky. There are also lots of big anthills in the
picture, an indicator of decades without ploughing . Prairie Research
Natural Area is right across the street. The geese' dining and relaxing has
been enhanced by anthropogenic fire.lpn

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019, 9:19 PM Charles Gates <cgates326...> wrote:

> Thanks to Aaron Beerman and a good bit of luck, I got to spend about an
> hour with the Tundra Bean-Goose near the Crooked River Wetlands Complex in
> Prineville. I got a couple of photos even though the light was fading and
> the sky was threatening. I feel very lucky. I was supposed to be in Burns
> with a small group but they cancelled so I was lucky to be home. I checked
> my email just before Aaron posted so I would likely have missed the post if
> Tom Crabtree had not called. Finally, radar showed some severe thunder
> storms heading right for that bird but the skies parted and we remained dry
> and unelectricuted. Thanks goes out to Aaron for reporting this guy.
> Obviously, this is the first time seen in the county and, I believe, the
> first time seen on this side of the mountains in Oregon.
>
> I was joined by Crabtree, Scott Staats and June McAtee. I didn't call
> Bend people because I didn't think they could get over before dark.
>
> The bird was with several pairs of Canada Geese right where Aaron
> described it would be. There was some talk about comparing it to the
> Finley bird so I will include pics of both. The first pic is the
> Prineville bird and the second is the Finley bird.
> [image: sdfdss] [image: gdd]
>
> --
> It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
> Mark Twain
>
> Chuck Gates
> Prineville Bird Club
> 541-280-4957
> Powell Butte,
> Central Oregon Oregon Birding Site Guidehttp://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations
> Oregon County Checklistshttp://www.ecaudubon.org/county-checklists

> www.avg.com
> <#m_3107359038799871931_m_-6528148365586754815_m_494923971127099299_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Join us on Facebook!