Date: 4/19/19 8:27 am
From: bob mcguire <bmcguire...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Possible Little Gull
I was on the spit at Myers Town Park earlier this morning, scoping the lake for recent arrivals. There was a moderate south breeze and significant “heat shimmer” making distant viewing of objects close to and on the water difficult. I first noticed four BONAPARTE’S GULLS milling around straight out from the park. They would fly north a bit then turn south and disappear when they landed on the water. As I followed them I noticed that all had dark gray underwings causing me to wonder about Little Gull. Eventually I spotted a larger group of 21 Bonaparte’s Gulls flying south a bit above the water. They ALL had the dark underwings except for one bird with noticably darker, almost black, underwings. I lost the group in the shimmer, went to check for its possible arrival at East Shore Park, and found nothing. I suppose I should have checked from Portland Point first.

In any case, I’d say that there is a strong possibility of a LITTLE GULL on the lake today, so keep eyes open.

Bob McGuire

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/