Date: 2/11/19 8:18 am
From: Helena Grant <bannerh...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Dead Great Blue Heron
yes, I would agree, finding out cause of death is critical, to prevent
possible unnatural cause(s) of death.
that begs the question: what is the proper protocol when we stumble
across a large(r) avian or mammalian dead body in a city area - this
is not the wilderness. Leave it and report it? Bag it and give it to
.... animal control? the latter may provide the best opportunity for
determining the cause of death.

I, too, consider the Great Blue one of my "best buddies", so am
saddened as well.
Helena Grant

On 2/11/19, Paula G <pmgentile...> [arlingtonbirds]
<arlingtonbirds-noreply...> wrote:
> So, my cousin works for the city in that area, and he wrote me this (when I
> asked if they use poison):
>
> “No,we don't use anything like that at all over here, hate to say it but
> that area is a big homeless population that lives under the bridge and I'm
> sure they're throwing needles into that water body where heron lives, they
> have also built up that neighborhood like you wouldn't believe so I'm sure
> those building owners are using bait traps...”
>
> How sad, if this is true.
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 10, 2019, at 11:50 PM, MJ Keeler <maryjane.keeler...>
>> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>
>> It may be worth it to report this bird to find out cause of death. They
>> are known to eat rodents when fish aren’t available.
>>
>> MJ
>>
>>> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:03 PM Liz Thorstenson <lizzylee...>
>>> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was so sad to come across a dead great blue heron while walking along
>>> the Alewife this late afternoon. It had to have happened recently since
>>> it is largely in tact and its feathers still look lovely. The bird is in
>>> the recently clear cut area on the right just after the wooden boardwalk
>>> from Broadway ends and it turns into dirt for awhile. Normally this area
>>> is chocked with knotweed but some entity is clearing it. Maybe the gas
>>> company.
>>> Anyway, I have a few pictures if anyone is interested.
>>> I consider the herons my closest bird friends along the Brook and this
>>> really bums me out.
>>>
>>> On the other end of the spectrum, I’ve been enjoying a feisty little
>>> Cooper’s hawk who has been visiting my stretch of the Alewife Brook
>>> lately, giving me great views of its hunting technique. They are so fun
>>> to watch.
>>>
>>> Liz
>>> E Arlington
>>>
>>> Sent from my miniature device.