Date: 2/11/19 1:29 am
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: RE: [MBBIRDS] Re: Not a bird - nutria at Pinto Lake
Folks,

A very nitpicky pet peeve. Nutria is actually the Spanish word for “otter,” in fact the word nutria and the Latin Lutra (the genus for otters) comes from the same base. In places where the “Nutria” occurs naturally in South America, folks tend to call it “Coypo” or “Coypu.” This (Coypu) has started to be used as the English name for the creature, as it makes little sense to call it otter. The white whiskers are pretty easy to see. If you think these critters are nasty invaders, some genius decided to introduce Canadian Beaver and Muskrat to Patagonia – not a good idea!

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com