Date: 2/10/19 8:55 pm
From: <rriparia...>
Subject: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Tule Lake NWR birds today
I was down at Tule Lake NWR today, along with Dave Haupt. I'd say Tule
Lake is where the birds are in the Basin right now.
Started at Discovery Marsh area near the Headquarters. Across from
the headquarters and bit north there's a ditch that has moving water,
and is has nice tree cover. At that location there was: SPOTTED
TOWHEE-2, HERMIT THRUSH-1, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW-1, and BLACK
PHOEBE-1.
A concentration of waterfowl was near the boatlaunch at Sump 1A,
with hundreds of TUNDRA SWANs, NORTHERN SHOVELERs, and CANADA GOOSE.
Both SNOW and ROSS'S GOOSE were seen then a flock flew over.
The majority of the waterfowl is over at Sump 1B. They probably can
best be viewed on the tour route, scoping from the "T" junction where
Sump 1A meets Sump 1B. Another viewing location is along the north
side of Sump 1B. Waterfowl included: American Wigeon, Eurasian Wigeon,
Ring-necked Duck, Mallard, Gadwall, Northern Pintail, Lesser Scaup,
Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, Green-winged Teal, Common Merganser, Lesser
Scaup, and Green-winged Teal.
Red-shouldered Hawk was seen near Frey Island area closer to the
railroad than previously. Another was seen near jct of the A Dike Road
and East-West Road. NORTHERN HARRIER was quite plentiful compared
to previous year totals. BALD EAGLE numbers seemed lower than previous
years.
In preparation for the upcoming Winter Wings Festival, I scouted
out at least location where I could use the location to depend upon
for a GREAT HORNED OWL. I did locate a BARN OWL pair. Roughly 600
HORNED LARK were seen during the day, but not a sound or glimpse of
Lapland Longspur. Keep checking those flocks for something unusual.
The Hunter Checkstation Road is a good location to view Horned Larks.

Kevin SpencerKlamath Falls, OR

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to klamathbasinbirdnews+<unsubscribe...>