Date: 2/10/19 12:08 pm
From: <ltjaeger...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Immature Bald Eagle, others
Hi Everyone-

The easiest way to tell an immature Golden Eagle from an immature Bald is by looking at the white feathering on the underside of the bird in question. The white on an immature GOEA in flight is almost always limited to the base of the flight feathers (primaries and secondaries) and the base of the tail feathers. On Bald Eagles, the white extends onto or is mostly on the underwing coverts and the breast, belly and flanks. The amount of white varies with age, but the location of the white feathering isn’t as restricted as on Golden Eagles

There are, of course, other differences such as bill shape & color, wing shape and wing posture, etc, but looking at what’s white and what isn’t is the quickest and easiest way to differentiate these two Eagles from one another.

It’s also a nice excuse to open up the front of your field guides and do a quick refresher about the difference between secondaries, greater primary coverts, tertials, et al.

It’s good to know your remiges from your retrices (both of which confuse auto-correct).

:-)

Clay Kempf
Elkhorn

Sent from my iPhone