Date: 2/8/19 5:03 pm
From: '<kharmony47...>' <kharmony47...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Great Blue Herons...
Many of you probably know that Great Blues often solo most of the non breeding seasons do congregate in winter sometimes (in non feeding areas primarily like frozen ponds).... and hang out there for protection, sharing warmth, perhaps even singles events as mating season is not so far away.... (humans can only guess)....    In 2016 a winter colony formed at Jerry's Pit.... on the opposite side from the parking lot....      This afternoon I came across what appears to be another in the same area..... about 8 herons....  in the same spot.....   It's far from human interference(no one even notices;)  and protected by that fence ... perhaps that is why it is a good spot for this behavior....   As the season goes on more herons seem to join..... the Pond is frozen solid.....likely the cleanest water around... so food territory is not an issue......
If it is interesting to you take a trip over and count how many you see there....  in trees, on the banks,  near the water.... in pairs sometimes or small groups or solos not too far apart....    If I get some decent photos I will send them through.....

Kathy Johnson   FAR Monitor

Join us on Facebook!