Date: 2/6/19 11:42 am
From: Jack Swatt via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Fw: Farmington Redheads

I've gotten a few emails about where to park to get access to the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail to see the Redheads.  It looks like there might be parking at the end of Wannowmassa Lane (River Glen ballfields) which is off of Rt 4. and access to the trail from Rt.4.  On eBird, it looks like people have been seeing them right from the end of Wannowmassa Lane as well.  I've never been to this area so I can't guarantee this will work, but it looks like the best bet from the maps.

Jack SwattWolcott
----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Jack Swatt <jswattbirds...>To: Susanne Shrader <birdgirrl...>Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 2:22:11 PM ESTSubject: Re: Redheads
     I parked at Tunxis Mead as well since I wasn't sure if the Redheads had moved since the Monday Report.   It did take me an hour to get to the bridge from there, but I was able to submit my eBird list for a one hour winter survey.    Looking at Google maps, it looks like there is a Valero gas station on Rt. 4 with stairs up to the footbiridge over Rt. 4 that is just north of the bridge over the Farmington River.  It looks like the Valero is on the corner of a short street called Wannowmassa Lane with some parking for ballfields.  You might have to walk back towards the Valero to get access to the trail, but it looks like a much shorter walk than from the Tunxis Meade Park trails. I've never been to this area so I can't guarantee this will work, but it looks like the best bet from the maps.
Good luck,
Jack On Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 7:45:53 PM EST, Susanne Shrader <birdgirrl...> wrote:

Hello, JackI tried to find a  place to park near the bridge and ended up parking at Tunxis Mead. Carrying the spotting scope I got tired way before the bridge. Is there a closer place to park and walk from?

Susanne Shrader