Date: 2/6/19 5:21 am
From: Nick Bonomo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Sterling Red Crossbills
Hi John,

Here is a link to get you started:
https://ebird.org/news/crossbills-of-north-america-species-and-red-crossbill-call-types/

And now for TMI: Type 10, which seems to make up the bulk of this year's
irruption, is perhaps the most variable call type. For instance, a bird I
recorded in Rhode Island a few weeks ago had an additional brief downslur
at the end of its call, which makes this version of their flight call a tad
harsher than their classic note (thus a bit more like some other call
types). The birds I heard yesterday sounded identical to that recording.
Unless one has a lot of fresh experience separating these call types by
ear, ID down to call type should be made via spectrogram analysis.

Xeno-canto might also be a good resource. As might an eBird media/audio
search.

Note that, per eBird and listserv reports, there is a southeast New England
bias to this winter's irruption. There is an obvious cluster in eastern MA,
RI, and far eastern CT. Any appropriate habitat, which seems to be Pitch
Pines with cones from this past growing season, could potentially hold
crossbills. Especially in eastern CT.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford