Date: 2/4/19 6:32 am
Subject: Re: Congregation of Bald Eagles at Jordan Lake, NC dam
Good Morning, All,
Regarding the large concentration of Bald Eagles at Jordan Lake, I have
some information to shed about another large flock in the East. I'm from
northern NY and the wintering Bald Eagles at Onondaga Lake in Syracuse has
been nothing short of amazing. The last count over the weekend was 56
birds!! When I first moved to the Syracuse area 45 years ago, Onondaga Lake
was one of the most polluted in the country, Because the major polluter,
Honeywell, took the proper steps needed to decontaminate it, the lake is
now incredibly clean and produces the proper conditions to sustain this
large gathering of Eagles. There is a Facebook page dedicated to them. It's
called the Bald Eagles of Onondaga Lake.

I spend my Winters in SC and really enjoy your listserve. Thank you for
letting me brag about our Eagles in Central NY!

Good Birding,

*Ginny Alfano*
*Cleveland, NY*

*"I think that I cannot preserve my health and spirits, unless I spend four
hours a day at least — and it is commonly more than that — sauntering
through the woods and over the hills and fields, absolutely free from all
worldly engagements. " *
*Henry David Thoreau *

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 10:11 PM Hal Broadfoot <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

> In year's past, I've seen many more at the fish farms and fields of
> Pactolus and Roper.
>
> Hal Broadfoot
>
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2019, 5:47 PM Rob G <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
>> Dozens of B. Eagles make Jordan Lake their home; not sure how unusual 13
>> at one of their favorite spots south of the dam is (though surely a
>> wonderful sight), but in googling around I stumbled on one real estate site
>> stating that:
>>
>> “*Jordan Lake supports the largest concentration of bald eagles in the
>> eastern United States*” -- that did surprise me; can someone confirm if
>> it's accurate?
>>
>> And while at it, are there any statistics yet on nesting pairs in
>> Triangle this year?
>>

>> -- Rob Gluck.... Carrboro, NC.....

Join us on Facebook!