Date: 2/3/19 7:55 pm
From: Andrew Bankert <abankert2007...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] RE: How to find your true Colorado bird list total
I could not find any mention of state records committees in the ABA
Recording Rules. Has anyone seen anything saying that records committees
have any say in ABA list totals? Here are the rules I was referring to in
my first email:

For vagrants it seems pretty clear to me that personal judgement and
knowledge are what matters:
(ii) A species observed far from its normal range may be counted if, in the
observer’s best judgment and knowledge, it arrived there unassisted by man.
A wild bird following or riding a ship at sea, without being captured, is
considered traveling unassisted by man.

For introduced species it seems like strays from established populations
(in conjunction with the rule above) are countable:
*(v)* an individual of an introduced species may be counted only when part
of, or straying from, a population that meets the ABA Checklist
Committee’s definition
of being established
<http://listing.aba.org/criteria-determining-establishment-exotics/>;

Again, I personally think that official state lists tend to be more
accurate, but I do believe records committees are occasionally too
conservative and have rejected species that should have either been
accepted or at least received more consideration and the ABA rules are nice
in some situations if a lister thinks a decision was too cautious.

Andy Bankert
Fort Collins