Date: 2/3/19 4:42 pm
From: Bradley Hacker <hacker...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Goleta wetlands, Sunday
No unusual gulls/ducks noted at Ocean Beach or Oso Flaco (SLO Co.) today
by me either.
Santa Maria River mouth is closed, by the way.

I spoke with a state game warden at Ocean Beach today who told me that
prior to the river breaking out to the ocean, the water had covered the
entire marsh and road (some new boat hulks high and dry were the only
evidence I noted of this event). Would have been a good time to see
marsh birds (e.g., bitterns) getting flushed; sorry I missed it and hope
to make an effort to be there when the marsh floods prior to breakout
next year.

On 2/3/2019 16:14, Dave Compton wrote:
> I hit many of the same spots Nick did over the past couple of days, to
> get an idea of what the water birds are doing after the big rain
> Saturday morning.
>
> The only addition of even minor note was that this afternoon I saw a
> female COMMON GOLDENEYE at North Campus Open Space. My Blue-winged
> Teal count at Area K yesterday was about 10, and I suspect there were
> more than that. There were reasonably good numbers of gulls at NCOS,
> Goleta Beach, and Goleta Slough in one of the basins (B/C) northeast
> from Area K. But, as Nick said, nothing unusual.
>
> I did want to comment on NCOS. The restoration here has added a new
> element to water bird occurrence. In the past, it would attract some
> geese and maybe some large shorebirds. But now, if you want to check
> on the shorebirds or the ducks around Devereux, a trip around to NCOS
> will be necessary to know what's going on. More habitat, more birds,
> more birding.
>
> And a comment on geese in Goleta. I could find only a handful of
> geese, despite looking for them all over Goleta the past two days.
> Looks like recent eBird reports haven't had more than 30 Canadas
> anywhere, and it's been a while since anyone has reported Ross's or
> Greater White-fronted.
>
> Dave Compton
> Santa Barbara
>
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 3:26 PM Nick Lethaby <nlethaby...>
> <mailto:<nlethaby...>> wrote:
>
> I did a quick tour of LLC, Goleta Beach, Area K, Stork Field, and
> Devereux late morning. Didn't use a scope to properly check any of
> them. LLC is getting nicely full, but still well short of the
> overflow level. If the overflow pond actually gets full, then I
> will declare the drought over. Area K has lots of water as do the
> surrounding areas.
>
> Gull variety was similarly disappointing to Ocean Beach yesterday
> with no GW, Herring, or Thayer's, and just a couple of hybrids. I
> didn't check the gull flock on NCOS closely, but there was nothing
> obviously good.
>
> Area K and the surrounding ponds had a nice variety of ducks
> including 4 BW Teal. These were probably the most interesting
> birds I saw.
>

> --
> Nick Lethaby
> Goleta, CA
>
> <nlethaby...> <mailto:<nlethaby...>
> Mobile: 805 284 6200
> Work: 805 562 5106

Bradley R. Hacker Professor of Geology
Dept of Earth Science and Earth Research Institute
University of California, Santa Barbara CA 93106-9630

www.geol.ucsb.edu/faculty/hacker
laser ablation split-stream facility: www.petrochronology.com
EPMA, SEM & EBSD facility: sites.google.com/site/semgeolucsb

View/Reply Online (#28405): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/28405
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>