Date: 2/3/19 6:44 am
From: Chip Clouse <chip.clouse...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] South Platte Reservoir and ABA guidelines
You are correct, Karen. A Life Bird is a life bird, geography aside.
People start categorizing the geography of the sighting (local patch,
county, state, country, area (ABA-area, etc.) if they care to do so. If
use eBird, it will categorize for you if you care to look at the
breakdown. To Mark's point (and you seem to get it) the geographic
location of the sighting is often categorized for you using the GPS
location of your phone with the eBird app, which may not be where the bird
actually is. There are separate eBird hotspots listed at South Platte
Reservoir (and Chatfield for that matter) for each county. If you report
using the Jeffco hotspot, the birds you list should actually be in Jeffco.
Same for the much, much larger Arapahoe County hotspot.

Good birding,
Chip Clouse
Golden