Date: 2/3/19 6:19 am
From: Scott Sainsbury <scott...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Fish Crows ... what to listen for and how to report to eBird
Hi Ian,

I agree that Fish Crow ID by vocalization can be tricky. I often hear the nasal-y begging call from the American Crow family that lives in our neighborhood. Always during nesting / fledging season. And sometimes beyond. Years ago, I was fooled by it, thinking I , at first, that was hearing a fish crow. In tone, it can be very close to a fish crow. But, over time figured out that it was a member or members of “our” local crow family. I had thought that perhaps is was fledglings, but the article you referenced cited females as the source. Do youngsters make the call, too?

Another observation — both the example of the fish crow vocalization in the article you referenced, and the vast majority of the fish crow vocalizations on the Macauley site, offer recordings of single note calls. This surprised me as I’ve often been entertained and delighted when I hear the UH-UH two note call — and think of it as the reference ID sound for Fish Crows. (https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=fiscro&mediaType=a&q=Fish%20Crow%20-%20Corvus%20ossifragus <https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=fiscro&mediaType=a&q=Fish%20Crow%20-%20Corvus%20ossifragus>) Is that actually a less frequently used vocalization? Is there any significance to which the bird employs?

As always, thanks much for your insights.

Scott Sainsbury
Moretown

> On Feb 3, 2019, at 8:08 AM, Ian Worley <iworley...> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> Fish Crows are in the conversation these days in the Burlington area. For tips on locating and reporting Fish Crows, check out this article that's on the Vermont eBird website. Confirming Fish Crows can be a bit tricky and take some patience.
>
> "Counting Vermont's Crows"
>
> https://ebird.org/vt/news/counting-vermonts-crows
>
> Enjoy your winter birding!
>
> Ian
> eBird reviewer for Vermont's Champlain Valley

Join us on Facebook!