Date: 2/2/19 9:18 pm
From: Chip Clouse <chip.clouse...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] South Platte Reservoir and ABA guidelines
Your life list is your life list and you can do whatever you want with it.
I saw a Yellow-faced Grassquit in Laredo that was not accepted by the TX
Bird Records Committee (no photo) but I know what I saw and it's on my life
list and my ABA-area list. It was seen on the US side. The ABA Listing
Guidelines pertain to the rules of listing species IF you wish to submit
your list to ABA to be compared with other lists. An Amazon Kingfisher on
the Mexican side of the Rio Grande while you are standing in TX would count
on your Mexican list and your Life list, just not your ABA area list unless
it flew to the TX side. By that rationale, a Black Scoter seen from Jeffco
but IN Arapco would count for your Arapco list, your ABA area list, and
your Life list: just not your Jeffco list. If you are competing in the
Denver Audubon Big Year Competition, you should follow the ABA listing
guidelines since your list will be compared to others' lists. If not, and
you never plan to compare your list to others in any formal way, do what
you wish - especially with your life list - which shouldn't be restricted
by geography. If you've seen it, you've seen it. My 2 cents...

Chip Clouse
Golden
(and former ABA education and outreach director)