Date: 2/2/19 3:30 pm
From: Arthur Shippee via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hamden - Upper Lake Whitney Cycle, Feb 2, 2019
As night has fallen, and presumably the Barred Owl has moved on....

I finally can share in this irruption. While walking out North Lake Dr. towards Servoss St., I glanced and noticed this brown ball: could it be? Yes! Barred Owl, a lifer, and I think the only owl I've seen clearly daytime (as opposed to GHOW outlines against night sky). A couple of photos on ebird report. Also, as I was looking from Waite causeway to the peninsula, I heard a sound like rubbing fabric behind me, & turned around. No one was standing there, but ... a juvenile Bald Eagle was flying away. I just missed its take off. Otherwise, pretty quiet. A bit of open water around the Mill River mouth (water birds below), and some below Whitney Ave. bridge (empty).

Arthur Shippee
Hamden