Date: 2/2/19 2:05 pm
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Black-legged Kittiwake at Cliff House (2 Feb)
Hi all -

This could be a first-year Red-legged Kittiwake. Worth looking into
in any case. Not many photos on line of underwings of RLKI but here's
one that shows a similar pattern:

https://www.birdguides-cdn.com/cdn/gallery/birds/Red-leggedKittiwakeFlyte1stS5Commanders1106.jpg

Both the primary coevrts and the tertial area being marked dark. By
contrast I can't find a BLKI with either. February is the month for
RLKI in CA.

Thought it worth mentioning in case others want to go look for it.

Peter

At 10:58 AM 2/2/2019, Ken Schneider wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I had brief looks and managed a single photo of an immature
>Black-legged Kittiwake seen just offshore from the Cliff House at
>about 0815 this morning. A bit more detail at my eBird checklist here:
><https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096>https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096
>
>I think the photo supports my ID, but I'm a little puzzled by the
>apparent dark markings on the underside of the left wing (perhaps
>the primary coverts?), which I don't see as expected in the field
>guides I checked... comments welcome.
>
>Good birding!
>Ken Schneider
>Noe Valley