Date: 2/2/19 2:03 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] NW Ind 2-February-2019
Today (2-Feb-2019) John Cassady, Randy Pals, Lynn Vernon, and I birded a few lakefront sites and then headed inland.

The scoters that were formerly at Portage Lakefront Park have moved down Burns Ditch to the Portage Marina (where they were much closer for viewing).

Once again adult males dominated in the 15 Rough–legged Hawks that we tallied, with six (or 40%) of the birds identified. There were 2 immatures, one adult female, and six in which the gender could not be determined. This result is troubling, as in past years immature birds usually constituted the dominant age category.

—PORT OF INDIANA
American Black Duckm1
Mallard,25
Canvasback,3 males
Redhead,125
Greater Scaup,135
Common Goldeneye,10
Bufflehead,5
Common Merganser,25
Double-crested Cormorant,1
Bald Eagle,1 first-cycle
Herring Gull,15
Great Black-backed Gull,1 adult

—PORTAGE LAKEFRONT PARK
Redhead,1
Greater Scaup,10
Common Goldeneye,5
Bufflehead,1
Common Merganser,30
Red-breasted Merganser,1
Bald Eagle,1 adult
Herring Gull,10
Glaucous Gull,1 first-cycle
Great Black-backed Gull,1 first-cycle

—BURNS DITCH & PORTAGE MARINA (met Matt Beatty)
Greater Scaup,10
Surf Scoter,2 adult males
White-winged Scoter,3 – adult male & 2 fems
Common Goldeneye,5
Hooded Merganser,2
Common Merganser,50
Red-breasted Merganser,50
Bald Eagle,2- 2 adults & 2 imm
Herring Gull,10
White-crowned Sparrow,1 adult
Dark-eyed Junco,3

—NORTHERN PORTER CO Cooper’s Hawk,1

—SOUTHERN LAPORTE CO
Bald Eagle,1 adult
American Kestrel,1

—JASPER COUNTY
Northern Harrier,1 adult fem
Bald Eagle,2 imm
Red-tailed Hawk,1
Sandhill Crane,1105
Merklin,1 IMF
Horned Lark,54
Lapland Longspur,1 (with Horned Larks)

—SHAFER GENERATING STATION
Bald Eagle,1 adult
Red-tailed Hawk,1

—NEWTON COUNTY
Wild Turkey,14
Red-tailed Hawk,1
Rough-legged Hawk,6- 2 light adult males, a light imm, one light adult, & 2 light morphs
Merlin,1 IMF
Horned Lark,35
American Tree Sparrow,20
White-crowned Sparrow,6- 2 adults & 4 first-cycle
Dark-eyed Junco,15

—TNC KANKAKEE SANDS (met Brendan & Josh Grube)
Northern Harrier,1 adult male
Red-tailed Hawk,1
Rough-legged Hawk,8- 3 light adult males, 2 dark adult males, a light imm, a light adult fem, & one dark morph.
Horned Lark,10
American Tree Sparrow, 82
Eastern Meadowlark,10

—WILLOW SLOUGH AREA