Date: 1/27/19 8:51 am
From: Teage O'Connor <badger.meli...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] FW: buckthorn and birds
I wrote about this as part of a profile on the tree:
http://phyllotaxy.com/natural-history/trees/species-profiles/rhamnus-cathartica-common-buckthorn/,
which includes links to scientific articles on the topic. And I'd be wary
of generalizing edibility of things. I've watched deer, catbirds, and
robins all eating the fruits from poison ivy. What's good for the goose
isn't always good for the gander.

Teage O'Connor
Crow's Path <https://crowspath.org> | Phyllotaxy <http://phyllotaxy.com> |
Instagram <https://instagram.com/phyllotaxyvt> | Blog
<http://phyllotaxy.com/blog>

*Subscribe to my monthly natural history newsletter
<http://phyllotaxy.com/newsletter-signup/>*

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 at 10:22, Bruce MacPherson <
<00000017afe5cb7a-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> Ha. A natural (or unnatural) experiment. Thank you both for clarifying the
> mechanism of action of buckthorn and for the demonstration of its effect on
> mammals.
>

> Good luck with the clean up.
>

> Bruce MacPherson
> South Burlington