Date: 1/26/19 10:34 am
From: Kent <kentjohnson...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] question about Snow Geese
Hi Carol,

I'm sure Clay knows these areas better than I, but I visited both earlier this month and have visited both past winters, so I will offer my two cents worth. If you have not visited Sacramento and Colusa NWRs and others in the area, I would suggest going up there just for a little different experience. If you don't mind the drive - it is a very long way for a day trip. There are lots of white geese in both that and the Merced/San Luis NWRs areas; maybe more in the north, but the sky can only hold so many geese at one time and it fills up in both. I have had better luck seeing geese on the ground at Merced, and more Ross's Geese at Merced. I have also had better luck with Tundra Swans at Merced and especially San Luis. Merced and San Luis are also better for Sandhill Cranes. Among the less abundant birds, Sacramento/Colusa are better for Eurasian Widgeon and Ring-necked Pheasant. On the way up to Sacramento NWR you might like a short side trip to the little cemetery just west of Maxwell, which is hosting a bright male Vermillion Flycatcher.

Kent Johnson
Boulder Creek