Date: 1/25/19 7:55 pm
From: Clay Kempf <ltjaeger...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] question about Snow Geese
Hi Carol-

Either place is spectacular.

The time of your trip plays into which place to go to, however. Sacto NWR numbers peak around mid-Nov, and gradually decrease after mid-December as some birds continue to move southward (until they turn back towards their nesting ground in the spring). Merced numbers peak a little later. However, in my opinion, the Sacto NWR/Butte Sink complex generally has more geese; definitely has more Tundra Swans, and has additional options such as the grasslands around Sutter Buttes to vary the experience.

I actually just left Sacramento NWR a couple of hours ago, where the evening flyout was fantastic. Large flocks of White-faced Ibis were also all over the place.

The Santa Cruz Bird Club offers trips to both destinations annually. Sacto has already occurred (and it did NOT disappoint!), but Eric Feuss is leading a Merced NWR trip if you want to join that.

Bottom line is your can’t go wrong either way.

Clay

Clay Kempf
Elkhorn