Date: 1/20/19 3:09 pm
From: Katrina Knight <kknight...>
Subject: Re: feeder density question
At 05:15 PM 1/20/2019 tom and sheri wrote:
>Very unscientific. My and all friends and family have observed
>a marked decline in numbers of birds at feeding stations. Some
>maybe be due to the - so far- mild winter. It is my
>observation that when there is little to no snow cover, species
>disperse.
>Has anyone noticed similar conditions?
>
>If so, what do you attribute it to?

I think the weather probably has something to do with birds not
being at feeders, but there seems to be a disturbing lack of
some species anywhere locally, not just at feeders. I did three
Christmas Bird Counts and could not find a single Tufted
Titmouse. Other participants found a few of them, but the totals
for all three were way low. Chickadees and crows were difficult
to find too. One idea that people are tossing around is that the
excessively wet summer resulted in more mosquitos, resulting in
higher levels of West Nile disease. Whether that's the right
explanation I don't know, but it seems like a reasonable theory.

--
Katrina Knight
<kknight...>

Join us on Facebook!