Date: 1/11/19 11:04 am
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Nice January walk in California? No, Polk County, Oregon

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 9:28 AM, <clearwater...> wrote:
>
> Wrentits could be found as far north as Saddleback Mountain in the Coast Range west of Grand Ronde, back in the 1940s when Jane Claire Dirks-Edmunds and her colleagues from Linfield College found them as part of an effort to document all flora and fauna in a study area (later described in her book, "Not Just Trees," published by Washington State University Press). That followed a wave of logging in the 1930s-40s, which left a lot of brushy habitat. After that, they seemed to go through a range contraction, but they've been expanding again in recent decades, following the logging boom of the 1970s-1980s.

I remember Dr. Jane Claire Dirks-Edmunds from when I wad an undergraduate at Linfield College.

I even took a class in ornithology there, but it was from Professor Borne. Our special field trip was to the Klamath Basin.

Our local field trips found a few Wrentits in the coast range, an empid that I identified as a Hammond's near college’s nature cabin in the nearby Coast Range in October, and Lesser Goldfinches up Cozine Creek when they were rare in northwestern Oregon. I haven’t been to Cozine Creek near the hills since then, but it was a delightful place - Yellow-breasted Chats, Lazuli Buntings, etc. I had already been a birder for about nine years before enrolling at Linfield.

Jeff gilligan

Join us on Facebook!