Date: 1/11/19 10:17 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Nice January walk in California? No, Polk County, Oregon
Gt Grackle has also bred lately near Grants Pass, I think. The Ontario colony seems to be year-round and self-sustaining now.

I have not looked at count data but I think both Acorn Woodpecker and WB Nuthatch are down in Lane County from 1970s levels. Western Bluebirds are way up in all of western Oregon, owing at least in part to the bluebird trail projects conducted by Elsie Eltzroth, Hubert Prescott and Al Prigge in the 1970s-80s.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/edge-of-awe

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 10:06 AM, Wayne Weber <contopus...> wrote:
>
> Oregon birders,
>
> Nearly all the bird species mentioned by Joel and Harry are stereotypical California species-- species which breed through much or most of California, and have done at least since the earliest ornithological explorations. However, one of these, the Great-tailed Grackle, is a newcomer even to California. The first record of Great-tailed Grackle in California was in the Colorado River Valley in 1964. When I made my first visit to that part of California in 1970 (near Imperial Dam), I was highly surprised to find Great-tailed Grackles there. None of the bird-finding guides or standard ornithological references indicated that they should be there. This species has had a much bigger range expansion than the other ones mentioned.
>
> The regular occurrence of Great-tailed Grackles in Oregon is quite recent—recent enough that I have not yet seen one in Oregon! It appears that they may be breeding in Malheur County in the southeast as well as in Jackson County. (Yes, I’ve seen GTGR both in BC and in Washington, but they sure don’t breed there!) One of my priorities for 2019 is to finally add GTGR to my Oregon state list.
>
> All this just goes to emphasize how dynamic bird populations are, with never-ending changes in breeding (and wintering) ranges. There have been some major range contractions as well, such as Western Bluebird (disappeared from all of southwestern BC and much of western WA), California Condor, and Yellow-billed Cuckoo. The longer you watch birds, the more things change.
>
> Wayne C. Weber
> Delta, BC, Canada
> <contopus...> <mailto:<contopus...>

Join us on Facebook!