Date: 1/10/19 12:25 pm
From: C Lou <cdlou37...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] American Bittern
1220pm. AMERICAN BITTERN still hidden in tules.Almost directly across from bench. Well hidden.
Calvin LouSF

-------- Original message --------From: "Dan Murphy via Groups.Io" <murphsf=<yahoo.com...> Date: 1/10/19 11:30 AM (GMT-08:00) To: SF Birds <sfbirds...> Cc: <SFBirds...> Subject: [SFBirds] American Bittern
This morning shortly after 10 a.m. Joan and I saw an American Bittern on the east shore of north lake.  It's not visible from the path since it was on the edge of a stand of bulrush.  It was clearly visible from the path on the west side of the lake.  From the south end of the lake walk past the first island.  Go past the second willow covered island to the bench facing the lake.  From there check the shoreline across the lake.  As we watched the bittern was tucked, but came to attention when a crawdad apparently walked past him.  The bird jumped in the water, snatched the crawdad, got out of the water and devoured the thing.  We had a total of 21 species, but all were common.

Good birding,
Dan Murphy

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>