Date: 1/9/19 5:40 pm
From: Steve Getty <sgetty...>
Subject: [cobirds] Northern Goshawk, White-thr Sparrow, El Paso Co.
CO Birders,

Compared with prior fleeting glimpses, I think I finally cleaned-up Goshawk for county/yard lists. photo below.

Then, a White-thr Sparrow has continued since Dec. 2, and appears to be wintering. Sometimes alone (and in nearly dark, AM/PM?), or it is fine with Juncos. Compared with White-cr Sparrows, note in photos the extensive red/rufous on edgings of primaries, secondaries, wing coverts, scapulars, and center of mantle. As they often do, this mark is helpful in the field when they are flying away from you.

(This is neighborhood immediately south of Bear Creek Park in Colorado Springs)

Steve Getty, Colorado Springs, CO

[cid:<image001.jpg...>]

[cid:<image002.jpg...>]
[cid:<image004.jpg...>]