Date: 1/9/19 4:19 pm
From: rickpurvis--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [VA-bird] eBird Report - Burke Lake Park, Fairfax County, Jan 9, 2019

Phil:  A very nice summary to a very enjoyable walk. Thanks for leading.

Subject: eBird Report - Burke Lake Park, Jan 9, 2019

Burke Lake Park, Fairfax, Virginia, US
Jan 9, 2019 8:22 AM - 11:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.541 mile(s)
Comments:    Started from the traditional spot past the mini-golf next to the bldg w/ restrooms next to the carousel, walked to the office at the entrance where the park naturalist, Sumner, now stocks feeders! Then we walked to the end of the pier at the marina, and along shore upstream to where the creek feeds the lake, then back to pkg via road. Calm and about 45 degrees at start, then the clouds broke up and we had a short sunny period before the wind picked up and it turned cooler.
37 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  90
Mallard  18
Ring-necked Duck  6    distant scope views
Bufflehead  1
Common Goldeneye  2    Great close looks in cove just upstream from marina, both Female.
Hooded Merganser  3    3 Females gave close looks
Common Merganser  5    Distant scope views of 4 females and a drake
Ring-billed Gull  75
Double-crested Cormorant  26
Black Vulture  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Bald Eagle  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  6
Pileated Woodpecker  2
American Kestrel  1    Flew in at treetop level while we were watching the feeders, grasped a small passerine, and flew out of sight toward the lake.
Blue Jay  10
American Crow  15
Fish Crow  3
crow sp.  6
Carolina Chickadee  7
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Brown Creeper  2
Carolina Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  5    all in 1 group
Eastern Bluebird  5
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin  8
European Starling  2
Purple Finch  5    all female at feeder area on right just past entrance
American Goldfinch  6
Dark-eyed Junco  3
White-throated Sparrow  3
Red-winged Blackbird  12