Date: 1/9/19 10:47 am
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Access guidelines for Varied Thrush
Folks:
The road edge at the suggested parking area for the Varied Thrush in St. Mary's County is getting trashed. Yes, people are behaving and parking where they've been told to but repeated parking there for weeks is taking its toll. So, some new advice from Chuck Stickney, Zach's dad.
"From now on - parking priority is along the street only on our half - i.e. from half the drainage basin towards our house (22070 Philip Drive). If that is full people can park in the horseshoe section of our driveway - the second entrance around to but not blocking the first entrance to our garage. If that is full park along neighbor's section of the road - i.e. the half of the drainage base toward their house.  They have not complained at all but at this point we'll try to limit further damage to their section of property."

Below are the guidelines that have been circulating, amended. Please post this when submitting an eBird checklist, an email to the various groups, and when posting on Facebook. And, from a friend who was there this morning, one of the neighbors scolded people about how torn up the road edge was and suggested birders bring some garden tools and try and fix it. A rake or two would be helpful and go a long way toward keeping relations civil there.

OBTW, eBird checklists lacking the guidelines are not being validated by the MD eBird reviewers. It's a simple copy and paste, people!

Access guidelines: The bird has mostly been seen in the woods on the left (north) side of 22070 Philip Drive in greater Leonardtown MD. The homeowners are extremely welcoming. Birders may visit between 8am and 4pm. Visitors may walk on the driveway but please stay on the asphalt, do not go onto the deck, and do not wander around the yard.

Please park along the left side of the road beyond the drainage basin after the first house on Philip and before the homeowner's house (both houses are on the left side). Parking priority is along the street only from half the drainage basin towards 22070 Philip Drive. If that is full, people can park in the horseshoe section of the 22070 driveway - the second entrance around to but not blocking the first entrance to the garage. If that is full park along the neighbor's section of the road - i.e. the half of the drainage basin toward their house.  They have not complained at all but at this point we'll try to limit further damage to their section of property. If that space is full, please try to avoid parking directly in front of another house.

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland