Date: 1/8/19 3:31 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Gilliam County HUTTON'S VIREO
That’s a dubious extension of the idea of the Columbia Gorge, for a forest bird. You’d think it would follow the “riparian” up one of the rivers. Arlington is far out into the sage and wheat belt.

Weird to think of a Hutton’s flying across both the Deschutes and John Day river mouths. Yet Bewick’s Wrens may have. Next we’ll have a Wrentit at Rufus.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/edge-of-awe

> On Jan 8, 2019, at 3:12 PM, Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>
> In the Columbia Gorge. At times a depauperate riparian zone , but riparian none the less.
>
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019, 3:04 PM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...> wrote:
> Not sure how far east they get in Klamath. I think only on the east slope of the Cascades. Perhaps Kevin could bring us current on that.
>
> There are multiple reports from Malheur but I don’t think there is a good photo. There may be one poor photo from maybe the late 1990s - anyone remember that?
>
> As far as I know, yours is the first solid record east of the forested Cascades. Pretty amazing to have one far out on the wheat-plains.
>
> Can someone enlighten us as to any records in e. Washington?
>

> Alan Contreras
> <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com <http://www.alanlcontreras.com/>
>
> http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/edge-of-awe <http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/edge-of-awe>
>

>> On Jan 8, 2019, at 2:36 PM, Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle...> <mailto:<adrian.hinkle...>> wrote:
>>
>> During a brief stop in Arlington today, while birding the park across from the gas station, I was shocked to hear the whinny call of a Hutton's Vireo coming from a small pine tree. My mom and I were able to track it down and get photos. As best I can tell, this is a first record for Eastern Oregon.
>>
>> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51466194 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51466194>
>>
>> Best,
>> Adrian Hinkle

Join us on Facebook!